In the summer of 2017, Kimco Realty, one of North America’s largest owner and operator of open-air shopping centers, was preparing to open the Grand Parkway Marketplace in the rapidly expanding Houston suburb of Spring, Texas. Hoping to make a positive introduction to the local community and prospective future tenants, Kimco teamed with Three Box to help with launch events, media relations, video and creative services.
Kimco Realty had a strong desire to engage the community in the launch of the Grand Parkway Marketplace development, while building connections with influencers like local officials, real estate brokers and potential tenants. A successful launch would help drive customers to the retail center - generating business for current tenants - and launch conversations with the brokerage community to fill vacancies in both the Phase I and Phase II developments. To achieve these objectives, the Three Box team recommended utilizing media relations, digital marketing, stakeholder engagement and video storytelling strategies.
The Three Box team started with proactive media relations to increase awareness of the Grand Parkway Marketplace with local residents, and then planned two key events for the grand opening weekend: a ribbon cutting reception for influencers, followed by a public community celebration. Since engaged community stakeholders could be powerful advocates for the development, the Three Box team invited local business and civic leaders, legislators, real estate brokers and tenant contacts to participate in a ribbon cutting event and reception. To show commitment to local residents and reinforce the shopping center’s offerings to potential customers, the Three Box team planned a separate “Spring into Grand Parkway” community celebration. The event featured local food vendors, performances by the Klein Oak High School band and cheer team, vendor activities and an on-site radio remote. Lastly, the Three Box creative services team created a high-quality video that showcased the grand opening events and the benefits Grand Parkway Marketplace development.
In addition to media coverage that generated more than 150 million impressions, the Grand Parkway Marketplace launch resulted in:
- More than 50 high-value stakeholder attendees at the ribbon cutting ceremony, including Texas Senator Paul Bettencourt, Commissioner Jack Cagle and Kimco CEO Conor Flynn
- More than 500 attendees at “Spring into Grand Parkway” community event
- Multiple unique articles in Houston Chronicle and Community Impact Newspaper, as well as CultureMap Houston and KTRK
- 10 on-air promos and two live call-ins from KRBE-FM radio remote
- A high-quality video featuring the development and interviews with Kimco and Houston leadership to be used for media outreach, stakeholder engagement, business development and potential tenant relations