As part of its 2018-2019 season, Three Box client Dallas Summer Musicals (DSM) presented HAMILTON, becoming the first North Texas performing arts organization to host the smash hit musical. While Three Box and DSM knew the show would be dubbed a “must-see,” we wanted to tell an authentic, inclusive story that extended beyond ticket sales and built-in hype in order to leave long-lasting impressions on Dallas audiences, even after HAMILTON left the metroplex.
HAMILTON was the headliner, but it was important that DSM was positioned as informative, accommodating and community-centric before, during and after the show’s run. Traditional media opportunities are not allowed for this show. Instead, Three Box worked with DSM to share key show milestones, including ticket sales and historical tie-ins, as well as a unique community program that engaged area students in the arts.
Three Box and DSM established promotional touchpoints to keep audiences engaged until the show’s final curtain call. The team leveraged media for:
- A ticket release event at the Music Hall at Fair Park
- An unveiling of a first-generation copy of The Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers and the Reynolds Pamphlet
- HAMILTON’s press night performance
- The Hamilton Education Program (EduHam) student performances, cast Q&A and matinee at the Music Hall at Fair Park
Our month-long media drive paid off, with HAMILTON and DSM receiving a diverse mix of unique media coverage.
- 151 unique media mentions resulting in more than 19 million impressions
- Media attendance at all events:
- More than 70 hand-selected local media contacts and influencers were present at the show’s press performance, with all allocated press tickets claimed
- Live shots and interviews with DSM President Kenneth T. Novice at the ticket release event, historic document unveiling ceremony and opening night
- Reporters from WFAA-TV, KTVT-TV, KDFW-TV, KXAS-TV and The Dallas Morning News were present at the EduHam event
- Press night attendance and social coverage from Dallas influencers including Tara Fuller, Oh So Cynthia, The Positive Mom, My DFW Mommy, My Crazy Savings, Hustle Mom Repeat and Carrie Elle, along with local celebrities like Emmitt Smith
- Comprehensive coverage from The Dallas Morning News, KXAS-TV, KTVT-TV, WFAA-TV, D Magazine, Dallas Observer, CultureMap Dallas, KERA-NPR, Broadway World, North Dallas Gazette, Dallas Voice, and more