Up next in our "Meet LPR" series is Shelby Tidwell, LPR's rock star intern. Shelby is a senior at Baylor University, where she is majoring in journalism, public relations and new media. We are thrilled to have her back after summer break! Name: Shelby Tidwell Joined LPR: Jan. 15, 2014 Clients: ConocoPhillips, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, DeMarco Murray Foundation, McKinstry
1. As a PR student, what are the biggest opportunities you see for new PR professionals? One exciting thing about being a PR practitioner hopeful right now is we are up-to-date on the latest technology and social media trends, which makes us assets to the current job market. Combine that tech-savvy with excellent writing and people skills, and you’ve got a great potential employee.
2. Remind us of some of the LPR projects you worked on last spring. What were your highlights? I produced a promotional video for LPR that told the company’s story and introduced the team members. Also, I wrote some of my first pitches and news releases when I worked on the Urban Acres Farmstead grand opening.
3. You're a big sports fan, and even schooled the rest of the LPR team in our March Madness bracket. What's your favorite Texas team? I love, support, believe in, pray for and adamantly follow the Texas Rangers. I can admit they’re horrible right now.
4. What's the most memorable tweet you've ever received? I’m an iced tea fanatic. McAlister’s Deli has tweeted at me several times in response to my tweets about their delectable tea.
5. When you're not working at LPR, what else do you like to do? I enjoy spending time with my roommates, playing the piano, doing fun things with my boyfriend, antiquing, leading worship at my church and playing sand volleyball.
6. Why did you choose to come back for another year of internship fun at LPR? I wanted to further explore the world of agency PR. Doing an internship that involves class assignments limited me some. This year, I want to practice things and learn skills that I didn’t last semester.
When asked one word (or phrase) to describe Shelby, here’s what her LPR teammates said:
Persistent – “Shelby goes beyond the typical expectations of the intern level and pushes herself to achieve great results, even when that requires extra sweat equity. She takes a proactive approach to her work, always looking for opportunities to learn and grow.”
Loyal – "Shelby was offered some pretty cool internship opportunities this semester, but she decided to stay on with the LPR team for round two. We’re thrilled to have her!”
Charismatic - "She has a charismatic personality that fits well with our team. From day one, Shelby jumped right in and got the LPR culture."
Eager - "As a young professional, Shelby looks for ways to distinguish herself in our profession. She's always up for taking on new challenges and tackling projects that might initially be outside of her comfort zone."