As PR pros, we often stay behind the curtain of anonymity and (rightfully so) put others in the spotlight -- but we want you to know the fun and talented professionals behind our agency. Today launches the first of a series we're calling "Meet LPR," where we'll give you an inside look at the Lewis Public Relations team. First up, LPR Associate Tyler Weiland. Name: Tyler Weiland Joined LPR: March 15, 2013 Clients: EMerge Alliance, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Irving Flood Control District III, Winzer, Methode Electronics - Data Solutions Group
1) List the five most interesting objects on your desk right now. 50-year calendar (time span 2010-2060), brass paperweight that’s an exact replica of the door knobs at the Texas Capitol, Persian letter opener with camel bone handle and silver inlay, vintage cast iron hole-punch from 1910, and business card holder made from a redwood tree
2) What's the best PR mentoring advice you've received? The best PR advice I’ve probably ever been given is that, if you want to survive in this profession, you: A) can’t take yourself too seriously, and B) need to have a thick skin. At some point, you’re going to make a mistake, and if you let it get to you, you won’t last long.
3) Tell us a cool client story/experience/most proud results. In 2011, I was working as an intern for a PR agency. One day, my boss asked me to join her on a conference call with a potential international client. I found out a couple of days later that this “client” was actually the Brazilian Minister of Sports. I had been part of the team that won a contract to lead a group of communications consultants for the FIFA World Cup, scheduled to take place this summer.
4) Peanut butter - crunchy or creamy? Crunchy peanut butter all the way… When it comes to food, I’m all about the texture.
5) What do you like to do on your weekends/for fun? I never have any set plans on the weekends. However, I do enjoy anything outdoors -- whether it’s cycling, walking around downtown Dallas or going hunting in the fall.
6) Give us a look behind the scenes of LPR. What's one thing people may not know about our agency? One thing people may not know is that everyone on the team has a pretty varied background. While we tend to focus on specific industries as an agency, each member of the team has past experiences and strengths that they can play off of and use to deliver results and attract new clients.
Traveled - "Tyler has a diverse background, having lived and worked overseas. He brings a unique, global perspective to our agency."
Persistent - "He will stick with something until he achieves the desired results. His tenacity pays off for LPR's clients."
Snappy Dresser - "Tyler's always out-dressing all of us. Pocket squares, stylish shoes, bow ties -- you can count on Tyler to look sharp."
Gentleman - "He is a true Southern gentleman. Tyler is polite, well-mannered and kind. You know, the kind of guy you'd take home to Mama!"