Get to know our current interns with this fun Q&A.
Viewing entries tagged
public relations intern
Public relations internships play an important role in the education and development of aspiring PR professionals. However, at Three Box, we believe even more in the power of mentorship. Our principal and former intern team up to share their perspectives on why mentorship is valuable to both young professionals and the agency.
Dear PR Graduates, In the next few weekends, thousands of you will cross the stage of your respective university and walk into the "real world." It can be a day filled with mixed feelings - excitement, relief, anxiety, anticipation... We've all been there.
There's no crystal ball to tell you exactly what starting a PR career will look like, but let me offer a few tips I wish I'd known when I walked the stage a decade ago.
1. The learning has just begun. You may have walked out of your last classroom, but successful PR pros are committed to lifelong learning. In my career, I've had to become an expert on oil and gas, data centers, telecommunications, agriculture, utilities and more. If you like the constant pursuit of knowledge, you're in the right place.
When you start your first job, get ready to be an active learner. Ask questions. Read trade magazines and newspapers. Pick up a new book. Not only will it pay off at work, you can carry a conversation with just about anyone.
2. Your schedule will be rocked. Gone are the days of Fridays free from class, 10 a.m. start times and afternoon naps. PR is more than a 9-5 job - but there's also room for work-life balance. Find a routine that works for you (and your employer).
Are you an early bird? Come in before everyone else to get a jump on the day. Work better when you have a break to clear your mind? See if your boss is cool with you taking a break to go exercise in the afternoon.
3. Invest in yourself. Several people (parents, teachers, family, friends) have invested a lot of time (and probably money) to get you here. Now it's time to invest in yourself.
Take the job that may pay less now but gives huge career potential. Be willing to pitch in for professional development opportunities. Consider squirreling away some cash for retirement.
Most of all, enjoy this time. You've passed a major milestone, and you're ready to start the next chapter of your story. Take a minute to look back on all you've accomplished, and then look forward to all that's to come.
Congratulations and job well done,
A Nostalgic PR Pro
Photo by Penn State via Flickr
* Are you a proactive, confident self-starter?* Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? * Want to work with big-name clients while building an awesome portfolio?
As an intern at Lewis Public Relations (LPR) in Dallas, you'll contribute to public relations counsel and execution for clients – from local to multinational – in a fast-paced and growing agency. We want a smart, motivated public relations student or recent graduate looking for agency experience. In addition to client work, LPR interns are included in strategy and new business pursuits, giving an opportunity to participate at all levels of the agency.
LPR is recognized nationally as a leading independent strategic communications agency, working with companies like ConocoPhillips, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and ALON/7-Eleven. As the Texas office of the Public Relations Global Network, we have international reach and collaboration with 50 agencies around the world. Our team combines the knowledge and experience of a large, multinational agency with the agility and value of an entrepreneurial boutique firm. LPR ranks #21 in the Dallas Business Journal's list of Largest North Texas Public Relations Firms.
This paid summer internship is 20-30 hours per week with opportunity to grow. If you’re up to the challenge, please fill out an application here. The top of the page will say “Lewis Public Relations Career Software.” Please follow the directions and complete the entire application process, selecting the Intern position, to be considered.
CORE TASKS and DUTIES * Drafting content for a wide variety of media, including news releases, marketing materials, social media, web content, etc. * Managing editorial calendars and media opportunities * Contributing to communications strategy development for broad programs and specific projects * Coordinating logistics for events * Conducting research and supporting new business activities for the agency * Collaborating with creative team to develop content for print, video and web collateral
CLIENT RESPONSIBILITIES: * Utilizes good judgment in all work and activities * Responsible for day-to-day client delivery activities * Keeps other agency members routinely informed of account status and actively engages other team members when client situations warrant * Recommends application of agency resources (people, facilities, relationships) to accomplish client objectives * Procures products and services needed to fulfill client requirements on approval of a senior staff member
AGENCY RESPONSIBILITIES: * Contributes to discussions involving the overall direction of the agency * Contributes to development of and assists in the production of new business programs and proposals * Participates in the agency's social media efforts, with guidance from other team members * Takes on special projects, as assigned
All candidates must complete LPR’s career application at http://bit.ly/1tqGHk0.
With a new semester on the horizon for aspiring PR pros, LPR’s Director of Account Service Christi Chesner shared some advice for communications students in the August issue of Texas Tech University’s College of Media & Communications Alumni Advantage newsletter.
** Post-Graduate Public Relations Intern **
Lewis Public Relations is now accepting applicants for a paid public relations internship in the agency’s North Dallas office. Interviews will begin August 1 with the successful candidate joining the team in mid-August.
- Write for a wide range of communications outlets, including traditional media, social media and the web
- Develop and maintain media lists
- Identify and manage editorial calendars
- Develop and use pitch materials to create or respond to media opportunities
- Participate in agency/client brainstorms
- Monitor and track media
- Develop and maintain clip reports
- Participate in team and client meetings
- Assist with research for new business opportunities and client presentations
- Execute administrative project management responsibilities
- Recent college graduate with a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related field
- Experience in one or more previous public relations internships
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Flexibility to work on a variety of projects
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office; entry- to intermediate-experience in social media and media list management applications; capability to apply AP style to writing assignments essential
The successful post-graduate intern will be encouraged to apply for a staff position at the conclusion of the internship program.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be held via the telephone and personal meetings in Dallas, Texas. Application deadline is 5 p.m. August 5, 2011. Applicants must be available for a minimum of 10 consecutive weeks to be considered. No phone calls, please.
About Lewis Public Relations
Lewis Public Relations delivers public, media and community relations programs and services to a wide variety of clients and subject areas, including agriculture, association management, nonprofit organizations, real estate, risk management and insurance, technology, telecommunications and transportation. For more information, visit www.lewispublicrelations.com.